Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Audio Comicbook Project


The above link will lead you to download a project I did a year and a half ago for school. The assignment was to convert a chosen comic story into a "radio play." I had the choices dwindled down to a comic version of a Ray Bradbury story and, ultimately, a quaint story entitled "Beneath the Leaves" by Rad Sechrist. It was a tough decision because I was envisioning (enHEARING?) that these would be very different sounding projects. I chose BTL because I thought it would be fun to play around with the dynamics using all kind of different songs, and that the characters would also be easier to capture.

Some of the requirements for the assignment included: at least 50 SFX, no more than seven minutes long, at least 4 characters, have a "cliffhanger" ending, and turn in a "professionally labeled" CD. I earned perfect scores in all areas except for the professionally labeled CD requirement. You should see the grading sheet, it was the very last item, on the very bottom - It's like a poop streak on an otherwise pristine paper.

I just now listened to it for the first time in recent memory and can already hear things I would've changed (there's the tweaker coming out.) I've always felt that it sounded kinda rushed, but that's the seven minute time limit for ya. I'm lucky it was able to squeak by and not get docked for going over.

So, yeah, here it is. It was a fun project and we all had a blast recording. I was even able to get Sarah in on the action and she did a bangup job. It's an uncompressed mixdown so you might have to up the volume some to hear all the totally brilliant nuances.

Dig it.

No comments:

Post a Comment