Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dear Half-Priced Books stores

I love you. No, really - I LOVE YOU! In a barrage of glitzy, gaudy over-priced bookstores, you are tucked away in the corner of strip malls like a well-kept secret. You keep it realzz. Where Border's perversely expects me to pay eight bucks for a paperback - FOR A PAPERBACK(!!!!) - you come in and say:

Here, have the same piece of work for 75 cents; it's an older edition, the spine may be creased, the pages may be marked, but you know what, crusty old books smell better. And, hey, while you're here, check out the overstock/returned video games that we have. Check it out - this one sold retail for 30 bucks, but, tell you what, I'll charge you 10 because I'm that frikkin' cool.

I love you Half-Priced books. I love how you have no electronic inventory - That's how fast goods come and go, that's how awesome you are. You make the simple task of browsing an absolute joy. Plus, you have retro copies of Analog Science Fiction/Fact. That alone elevates you beyond a mere retail establishment. You are a beacon of hope and inspiration and an awesome place to kill 45 minutes! Your employees reek of geekdom, but I don't come to socialize; I come to feel that everything is alright in the world.

I love you half-priced books. Don't ever leave me.

<3 HPB + NJ 4-eva <3

No comments:

Post a Comment