Thursday, February 4, 2010

Three down, eternity more to go!

Our anniversary was this week, and it got me thinking:

We make an interesting pair, Sarah and I. We receive comments all the time about how we "balance" each other. And this is true, though this is not as simple of a balancing act as one would initially think. Here, let me show you:

Here is a classic representation of the scales of justice.

Pretty straight forward, right? In the application of a couple "balancing" each other out it's easy to see each person sitting indian-style on each side of the scale while winking and blowing kisses to each other. Awww, how cute.

But, this scenario is also a bunch of CRAP!

Here's how I see Sarah and myself:

Not only is this contemporary mobile way cooler, it is also a much more accurate representation of how we do, indeed, balance each other out. Sarah and I are complex individuals, we feel deeply. Think of the idiom "Still Waters Run Deep" and then add a couple hundred more fathoms and you've got the idea. The reason why we may sometimes seem unapproachable is because we're always so busy being deep and complex and mysterious. That, and we're totally shy, but...

I'd like to think that these deep reserves of emotion is the unifying force in our marriage, it is what makes me look forward. If we were only treading on the surface - clinging to the more shallow attributes and interests - we wouldn't have made it even this far. This is because neither one of us ever pictured ourselves being with the type of person we are currently with. Did that make sense? Here, let me do another illustration.

*please note: The following pictures are intentionally of inanimate objects and not of a specific type of person or individual. Even if I had posted the world's hunkiest chunk of ManHunk I still would've gotten in big fat trouble for posting some mediocre-looking female celebrity. I know how you women are. And just by declaring "I know how you women are" also just got me in big fat trouble. Therefore - to digress slightly - women are nothing but trouble.

Nick thought he'd end up with someone like

this collection of watercolors and oil paintings

Sarah thought she'd end up with someone like

this organized, stiff and professional workplace.

But, alas, we didn’t “end up” with each other. We worked hard to get where we are today, and it’s been a real trip. Every day is a new adventure in the land of matrimony and I am grateful that Sarah is the one here to experience it with me. And if teaming together to raise the super-force that is Mitchell isn’t enough to forge our bonds even stronger then I can’t even comprehend what could - Man, this kid is crazy.

Really, I could go into this huge psychology discourse to explain why it is Sarah and I totally rule together. But, the fundamental reasons for our awesomeness are that our hearts are in the right place and tightly knit together. We share the same long-term and long-long-long-long term goals. She’s a wonderful person who feels deeply for others. She works very hard and doesn’t gripe about it. She loves her little boy. She loves her family. She loves her in-laws (I know, right!?) Her smile makes me smile. She is the strong arm.

She’s lucky to have me - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

1 comment: