Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I love/hate Rick Steves


This is Rick Steves. He is a travel writer and host for his own PBS Television show called "Rick Steves' Europe." I love/hate him.

I love him because his shows are totally awesome. He travels to interesting foreign lands to interact with it's peoples and learn of and participate in their cultures, all the while he's carrying around his supersweet knapsack on one (1) shoulder. Armed with a notepad and a charming personality he interviews the locals and takes copious notes. He then takes these copious notes and writes and narrates each episode. They're informative and a pleasure to watch. The production crew that accompanies him on these journeys do a fantastic job capturing the essence and vibe of each of the places they visit.

He has his own series of travel gear. His books are practically tomes crammed with the rest of the 95% of his gathered information that didn't make it into that location's TV feature. He has audio travel guides. His website is an entity all to itself. All in all Rick Steves has the best career, ever.

I hate Rick Steves because: HE STOLE MY CAREER! I should be the one with a camera crew following me around Europe. EUROPE! I WANNA GO TO EUROPE! I should be the one writing witty narrative from copiously taken notes. I should be the one carrying a supersweet knapsack on one (1) shoulder as I climb the stairs of the Parthenon. I should be the one visiting old libraries, castles and theaters. I should be the one whom PBS pays to submerge myself in all the history and cultures Europe has. Geekfag! And look at the title of his show! Rick Steves' Europe. What, you think you're so hot that you own Europe? Is it really YOURS? Wow, way to be totally inflated, Rick.

But... you really are a charming person, Rick! For real. I love the way you encourage people to embrace each others' differences. Your open-mindedness is an inspiration. And it always makes me grin with delight when you sign off each episode with, "I'm Rick Steves. Keep on Travellin!" You take memorable photo's of the places you've been:

Tee hee. Here you are on a bike in Amsterdam.

lol. Cows, Rick? You're so silly.


Oh, Rick. You're the best!

I envy you! I really do. Here's the best picture I could come up with:

Here's me looking around for the crapper at the Home Town Buffet in Columbus, Ohio

I love watching and listening to all of Rick Steves' chronicles. He truly takes you along for the ride to choice locals. But, I burn with jealousy and irkitude when I see how he has totally usurped my lifestyle.

I love/hate Rick Steves.


3 comments:

  1. Maybe Rick Steves will let you be his side kick, or his sound guy. And then we'll come travel Europe with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could document all the "famous crappers" of Europe, too!

    ReplyDelete